2013 SPORTS REACH
order to share important news with someone, you must first get their attention.
We live in a society where people love sports. So how can we use sports to get
people’s attention in order to share the best news anyone could hear?
I am writing this on behalf of Sports Reach, a Christian sports ministry based out of Kentucky, that for 28 years has been using sports to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I would like to invite you to the 9th Annual Sports Reach Auction. This is an event to help raise funds for this ministry so that they can continue to use the avenue of sports to make a difference in lives of others.
The auction in on Thursday night, September 4, 2014 at Christ Church United Methodist, 4614 Brownsboro Rd., Louisville, KY. The silent auction begins at 4:45 pm with the serving line for the meal beginning at 5:15. The auction will begin at 6:30 and will be over by 8:30.
Our theme this year will center around the Matthew West song “Do Something.” You will be challenged to see what God would have you do. You have a great opportunity to make an impact in the life of many others.
You will have an opportunity to meet many sports and media personalities during the evening and while participating in a fun filled “Living Silent Auction” and the Live Auction. Items that will be auctioned off are Louisville football and basketball tickets; Kentucky basketball and football tickets; golf outings; fishing trips; autographed memorabilia; romantic getaways; celebrity wives purses; and more.
Guest and Item Updates will be coming to this site soon!
This is a casual dress event that allows you to buy and contribute to this ministry. Your help allows this ministry to not only share the Gospel directly with others but to help individuals grow in their faith. Here are a couple of comments from those who went on recent trips.
- “This trip has changed my life!”
- “I realized that I must be God-confident in every area of my life.”
- “I can’t wait to get home and share with my parents.”
As you can see, people that go on these trips come back different. When they come home different, they have a chance to impact those around them.
Finally, the goal of Sports Reach for the remainder of 2014 and for 2015 is to lives impacted in every way. We want to see people come to know Jesus, people to grow in their faith, and people learn how to share their faith. But each year, it gets harder and harder to reach out. But your help will make a great difference.
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “ How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” [Romans 10:14,15]
I am praying that you can come be part of a fun filled, life changing night.
Please let me know as soon as you can.
- Framed picture of Don Larson from his Perfect Game in the 1956 World Series, signed
- Rick Pitino, UL Men’s Basketball Coach, autographed basketball
- Bobby Petrino, UL football coach, autographed football
- UK 2012 National Championship basketball signed
- Pete Rose autograph bat
- Peyton Siva signed basketball
- Bruce Weber, Kansas St. Head Coach, autographed basketball
- Victor Oladipo autographed Orlando Magic hat
- Steve Prohm, Murray St., autograph basketball
- John Groce, Illinois head basketball coach, autograph ball
- Victor Oladipo autograph jersey framed
- Elfrid Payton autograph jersey
- Elfrid Payton autograph hat
- Shaq O’Neil Laker framed and autographed jersey
- Dave Winfield autograph ball
- George Brett autograph hat
- Joe DiMaggio autograph hat
- Joe B and Denny autograph hat
- Pat Day autograph items
- Shawn Kelly autograph ball
- AJ McCarron Alabama autograph replica helmet of 2012 Championship
- Tony Gwynn Baseball Hall of Famer autograph ball
- Urban Meyer, Ohio St. Football coach, autograph football
- Joey Voto, Framed autograph picture of 2010 National League MVP
- Autographed gear from Hendrick motorsports
- Eric Dickerson, NFL Hall of Famer, autographed jersey
- James Young autograph UK hat
- Julius Randall and James Young autograph UK hat
- Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist autograph UK hat
- Fishing Trip with Doug Flynn, former MLB player, and Keith Monson, FLW Professional fisherman. Spend the day fishing. Must be used by Aug. 1,2015
- Evaluation workout with Cliff Marshall, Ignition in Mason Ohio, trains professionals and training app and workout band. Must be used by Aug. 1, 2015
- Ultimate Campbellsville Experience: 2 tickets in Presidents Box to Campbellsville U football game vs. Bethel on Sat. Sept 20 @ 1:30 pm. Both individuals will have pregame meal in CU café with football team and coaches. Head to locker room for pregame talk. Stand on sidelines for warm-ups and into locker room at half time to listen to talk
- Pitching Lessons from former MLB pitcher, Gene Walters. Must be used by Aug. 1, 2014
- Tour of Music Row with Sony Publishing CEO, Troy Tomlinson, and tickets to Country Music Hall of Fame. Must be used by Aug. 1, 2015
- One Day Fishing on Lake Michigan
- Tour of Churchill Downs with Pat Day
- ORLANDO VIP BASKETBALL 2 Lower Arena Tickets to the March 1 Orlando vs. Charlotte in Orlando.
- Meet and greet with Victor Oladipo and Elfrid Payton at Orlando Magic game. 2 nights stay at Terra Verde Resort in 3 bedroom townhouse. Travel card for $200.
- Meet and greet with Garrett Temple at Washington Wizards game
- Meet and greet with Jack Givens with 2 UK BB tickets to the Buffalo game, Sunday, 11/16, Sec 18 Row B Seats 3 & 4
- Meet and greet with Mike Pratt with 2 UK BB tickets to the Boston game, Friday, 11/21, Sect 18 Row B Seats 3 & 4
- Meet and greet with Kyle Macy with 2 UK BB tickets to the Pikeville game, Sunday 11/2, Sec 18 Row B Seats 3 & 4
- YOU BETTER BELIZE IT GETAWAY 7 nights in Belize. 3 nights at Maruba Tropical Resort (Jr. Suite), 2 nights at Coco Beach (2 bedroom, 1 bath), & 2 nights at Robert Groves Resort (standard room) includes hotel transfers, cave tubing for 2 and personal guide and driver, Brads Neal. Some restrictions apply. Must be used by Aug. 20, 2015
- FISHING TRIP TO BELIZE 4 nights for 4 at the Princess Hotel in Belize City, 3 days of fishing
- WKU Basketball Experience, 2 lower tickets to 11/22, Saturday vs. Belmont. Includes pregame shoot around and pregame meal with team. Meet Coach Ray Harper
- UK Sports Weekend. Nov. 7-8. 2 UK men’s basketball tickets to Exhibition game vs. Georgetown, Sec. 18 Row b Seat 3 & 4. 2 tickets to Georgia football game with parking pass.
- 2 nights on floating cabin at Green River.
- Florida Golf Getaway Rounds of Golf for 4 at Kissimmee Bay CC and for 4 at Remington
- WEEKEND HOOPS ACTION 2 tickets and travel with Robby Speer Sat. 12/6 Kansas St at Tennessee and Sun 12/7 EKU at Kentucky
- 2 tickets to Charlotte Hornets game and meet and greet with Buzz Peterson, Hornets
- Tennis with Kyle Macy
- 30 minute Free-Throw lesson from Kyle Macy
- The Tennessee Experience. Nov 21-22. Two nights in cabin for two at Pigeon Forge with dinner show for
- Friday night. 2 tickets to Tennessee vs. Missouri football game with tail gating hosted by Craig Connatser
- Winter baseball camp at Players Clubhouse for player age 9-12 in Elizabethtown, KY
- 1 spot for the Bellarmine girls fastpitch softball camp during summer
- Aja Sherman, first pitcher for UL to throw softball perfect game, one pitching evaluation session
- 2 Tickets to Louisville Basketball game and sit with Denny Crum. Also, a Denny Crum autograph basketball
- 2 Tickets to the 2015 Men’s NCAA Basketball Championship in Indianapolis
- 2 UL football game vs. Wake Forrest, 9/27, end zone
- 2 Campbellsville U all sports pass
- Lindsey Wilson College, 2 all sports passes, round of golf for four
- 2 tickets to UL football Section 9/27 vs. Wake Forrest 133 row V Seats 3 & 4 and parking pass
- 2 Tickets to Belmont vs. EKU Men’s Basketball game, Feb. 5,meal in Richmond and autograph ball from Jeff Neubauer
- 2 lower arena tickets to Pacers game
- 2 UK BB Tickets 11/17 vs. Robert Morris Sec. 18 Row B Sec 3&4
- 2 UK BB Tickets 1/25 Sat. vs. Georgia, Sec. 18 Row B Sec. 3&4
- 2 tickets to Indiana U basketball games at lower level , 2nd
- Two tickets to Bellarmine men’s basketball game behind team bench.
- 2 UK Football tickets to 10/4 vs. South Carolina with parking pass
- 2 UK football tickets to 10/11 vs. UL Monroe with parking pass
- Season tickets to Georgetown College Basketball
- 4 UK football tickets in box seats (only 64 chair back seats in stadium) 10/11 vs. Louisiana-Monroe with parking pass
- 4 UK football tickets in box seats (only 64 chair back seats in stadium) 10/25 vs. Mississippi St. with parking pass
- 4 midcourt lower tickets to UK Basketball game
- 4 midcourt lower tickers to UK Basketball game
- All of these UK men’s basketball tickets in Sec. 18 Row B Sec 3&4:
- 11/14 Fri vs. Grand Canyon
- 11/25 Tues vs. UT Arlington
- 11/30 Sun. vs Providence
- 12/5 Fri vs. Texas
- 12/10 Wed vs. Columbia Univ
- 12/13 Sat. vs. North Carolina
- 1/6 Tues vs. Ole Miss
- 1/13 Tues vs. Missouri
- 1/20 Tues vs. Vanderbilt
- 1/31 Sat vs. Alabama
- 2/3 Tues vs. Georgia
- 2.14 Valentine’s Day vs. South Carolina
- 2/21 Sat. vs. Auburn
- 3/7 Sat. vs Florida
- Round of golf for 4 and 30 minute lessons at Lincoln Homestead, Springfield
- Round of golf for 4 and 30 minute lessons at Juniper Hills, Frankfort
- Rounds of golf at Maywood
- Golf lessons for 2 from Ron Snider at Persimmon Ridge
- Tri City CC in London, rounds of golf for four
- Round of Golf for 4 at Oldham CC
- Set of Pearls
- Set of Pearls
- Silk ties
- College gift basket- Collection of items from Kentucky, Louisville, and Indiana
- Texas Roadhouse gift basket with gift card and sauces
- Kentucky grill utensil
- Various prints
- UL handmade wreath from girls of Maryhurst
- Gift Certificate from Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- $50 gift certificate from Tea Station Chinese Bistro in Norton’s Commons
- Purses from head coaches wives at:
- St. John
- Texas Tech, Donna Smith
- Loyola University of Maryland
- Set of 12 dri fit shirts that will be screened with logo desired
- Your car detailed at Autosmart
July 9-16, around eighty people boarded multiple flights out of Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky to travel to Puerto Rico for a week full of basketball, baseball, volleyball, and fast pitch softball. One might think that eighty people on one mission trip would be overwhelming and very hard to get anything accomplished. Yes, there were times of feeling overwhelmed but it was absolutely amazing seeing the Lord work in each group. All four teams took a hold of the reigns and found ways to minister to their fellow team members, their opponents, and all those they came in contact. By the end of the week all teams had played multiple games, attended church service, enjoyed a back to school bash with kids who had cancer, fed the homeless, visited and dance at a senior citizens center, visited the rain forest and soaked up the rays on the beach. However, the most exciting news is that 10 people indicated decisions to follow Christ. Praise the Lord!
We are now entering what I love to refer to as the “most challenging 9 weeks of the year.” They are filled with blessings but the challenges are great.
On July 9-16, we will be taking a group on a mission trip to Puerto Rico in which 79 people are involved. There will be a 13U baseball team, high school girls fast pitch team, high school girls volleyball team, and college women’s basketball team. They will be playing exhibition games, helping host a children’s cancer back pack party, visiting a senior rec center, helping feed homeless, attending a local church, leading clinics, as well as sharing testimonies and the Gospel at their games.
August 7-14, we will be taking a men’s college level basketball team to Belize. Fifteen folks will be playing games, visiting a children’s home, leading clinics, distributing shoes, and sharing at the games.
In September, we will be hosting our annual fund raising auction. Our auction is by far our biggest fund raiser of the year. Mark your calendars for Sept. 4 and make plans to attend this great event.
Needless to say, when I take into account the aforementioned events, in addition to having several baseball teams and softball teams still playing and plus tons of administrative duties to complete, all I can say is “please pray.”
When I begin to think about everything that has to be done, the one thing that I have learned is when things seem the hardest, God blesses the most. I know with all of these things happening, Satan will target all that is being done; however, I am grateful that we serve a mighty God and victory belongs to Him!
NEWS AND NOTES
- June 23-28, Texas Sports Reach took a group of men to play in five different prisons in Mississippi and Louisiana.
- We have added soccer, basketball, and flag football to the 2015 prison schedule. We are trying to find more ways of reaching men for Christ.
- We will be adding a youth girls’ softball team in Virginia in 2015 as well as some more possible additions in the boy’s baseball area.
- We are looking for donations for our auction. If you have any autograph stuff, vacation items, or just anything that others may be interested in let me know. This is our biggest fund raiser.
The first day of summer, June 21, is just days away. It is always an easy one to remember because it is also my Dad’s birthday. (Happy Birthday Dad). Though that is the official start, it seems that we have already been “summering.” The 4th is only a few weeks away, soon to be joined by the first of August which is school. Did I just say that summer had not officially started?
Time is a funny thing. The older you get, the faster things seem to move. Holidays that seemed to never come quick enough when we were young, feel like that are lapping their selves. Yet, we know that we still have the same amount of time.
What are you doing with your time that really matters? David Brainerd said, “Oh, how precious is time, and how it pains me to see it slide away, while I do so little to any good purpose.” Once a moment is gone, it can never be retrieved. Be careful and use your moments to glorify God! As your summer wraps up, or just gets started, find out what God is doing and get in on it.
There are six of us heading out Sunday morning to Lake Correctional Facility in Florida. We will be facilitating basketball, soccer, and slow pitch softball from June 23 to June 26. This is the first time that we have tried to do something like this. We are hoping to have some good involvement in order to get the inmates active in recreation, but more important drawing a crowd to share the Gospel. Monday and Wednesday, we will be doing softball and then soccer with basketball on Tuesday and Thursday. I believe that we are going to need to find more creative ways to make a differences in these guys’ lives. Please be in prayer.
The shoes are ready and they are being taken down to Miami to be shipped for our August trip to Belize. A special thanks to these guys who did the separating and bagging up so we can take them down. On behalf of Stan Curry, director of our shoe ministry, and myself, thank you to all of you that have donated shoes and money to help us not only get shoes to Belize, but shoes to needy in other states.